Thursday, June 11, 2009

Young Hussie


For those of you who know me, you know that I absolutely love Slim Twig. Its no surprise that the young, handsome Toronto bred artist is getting all the hype and attention these days. He markets his eerie rockabilly stature very intelligently. Not only does the music embellish this dreamy dark castrophany, but the poetry that comes through is completely spell-binding.

I missed his CD release, 'Contempt!', at The Horseshoe a few Fridays ago to go see The Miles instead (which I don't regret because they tore The Boat a new one, of course) but I do wish I had stopped by. His last release, Direct Dialect, left me completely satisfied and wanting more.

Although many were not fans of Slim Twig after Direct Dialect, I really encourage you to try out his new mix, 'SPIT IT TWIG'. You can download it for free at www.myspace.com/slimtwig when you click on the side bar with the CD cover. I haven't stopped listening to it since I caught it at Record Store Day at Sonic Boom during his performance. The first tune, 'A Black Hollister', sets the mood for the entire mix, while the second last song, 'Phantasm Inquest-Onakazabien Remix', pushes you back into a dream and leaves you in a thoughtful trance. 'Crack Of The Whip' unleashes some interesting lyrical patterns.

All of his projects continue to inspire and impress me. Seeing his performance live alone is fascinating. You don't really know the character intill you witness it. He becomes this dark preacher, the energy completely takes over the room. The Eye Weekly did a great article on him, Ballad Of A Thin Man. http://www.eyeweekly.com/music/features/article/54372

Among other things the twig swings, TROPICS - www.myspace.com/topofthetropics - have really caught my eye. Some of the blurbs and film projects I've caught are interesting too. If the music doesn't take you, the videos might.

This artist is the real deal

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
SENTIMENTAL/AMATEUR/FILM ONLY. I am interested in exploring the line between adolescent curiosity and juvenility. badvalleys@hotmail.ca for any qeustions. yeye

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed

Fan klub